Monday, June 30, 2014

Elder Adamson's Letter 6/30/2014


Elder Adamson's sendoff to San Fernando


I´ve arrived safely in San Fernando and I´m loving it!!
Here´s what happened this week.

Monday was my last P day in Dos Hermanas so the Utrera Elders and the Hermanas came to the capilla (chapel) and we played some card games and ate lunch together.  It was tons of fun and a nice and relaxing P day.  Later that night, we went out to say goodbye to Samuel and I got all his information so I can keep in contact with him.

On Tuesday, I had to say a lot of goodbyes. We had district meeting and then we went over to Joni and      Alex´s house for lunch as kind of a despedida (farewell) meal.  It was lots of fun, but pretty sad, because 
I´ve been over at their house so many times in the time I´ve been here in Dos Hermanas.  After that we headed over to Ximena´s house to say goodbye and they made me a little heart-shaped lemon cake. After that, we ran over to the Páez family´s house and then to Jordi´s house to say goodbye.  We ended off the night at Natalia and Helton´s house and it was really hard to say goodbye to them after all the time I´ve spent with them.  When it came time to leave, Vitor and Breno both ran into their room and grabbed a couple little hot wheels cars to give to me.  I felt really bad taking therm because they don´t have a lot of money and the boys don´t have very many toys but they insisted that I take them.  After a long hard goodbye, Elder Enfield and I hurried home and I got the rest of my stuff packed up.

Wednesday, I got all my last minute things ready to go and went to say goodbye to Joni and Alex in the morning.  We had a little wrestling match in their living room and then had to say goodbye.  Right before I left, Alex was scrambling to give me something so I would remember them, so he ran into his room and gave me the invitation to his first communion in the Catholic church when he was a like 11. ha ha ha After that, we went home and ate and then I headed off to the train station. I said goodbye to Elder Enfield and hopped on the train to San Fernando all by myself.  About an hour and a half later I arrive in San Fernando and Elder Buttars was there to pick me up.  He took me to an English class for an hour and then we headed to the piso (apartment) with all my bags, and then we went out to meet the bishop at night.  

This week has been a blur because everything has gone by so fast and I´m in a new place so I´m just going to tell you how the area is right now, because I´m not sure if I´m going to be able to remember all the names.  Right now we have an investigator named Jonathon who has quit smoking cold turkey and who has progressed pretty slowly, but he keeps getting closer and closer to baptism.  He´s 21 and he´s almost there, but we just need to keep working on his testimony.  We also have a part member family that we are working with that is looking really good.  Veronica is the mother of the family and she is less active.  Her boyfriend isn´t a member, but her two kids José and Paula are 12 and 10 and they REALLY want to be baptized and their parents want to let them, we just haven´t been able to get them to settle on a date yet. Should be coming soon, though.  We also have been teaching a guy named Paco and his friend Maika.  Right now Maika has a fecha (date) for the 19th of July, but she hasn´t really kept her commitments lately, so we´ll see how that goes.  The members here are AMAZING.  We have like 3 former stake presidents and 4 former bishops in our ward and it´s a very well functioning ward.  This week we had about 71 people at church and I got to meet a lot of them.  The city is awesome and Elder Buttars and I are the only missionaries in our ward which is pretty awesome.  We´ve got it all to ourselves. ;)

Next week I´ll give you a better update on all the members.

Lately we´ve been studying lots about using time wisely.  There is a quote in the back of Preach My Gospel in the using time wisely chapter that is awesome.  I think it's by Elder Oaks but that could easily be wrong.  It talks about how missionary work is like fishing and sometimes people will be gone fishing an entire day, but only have their line in the water for 2 or 3 hours.  What´s important in missionary work is that we have our line in the water for as much time as possible because the Lord has called us to be fishers of men, and the more time we have our lines in the water, the more people we´ll find.
        
I have more pictures to send, but this computer I´m on right now is SUPER slow, so I´ll send the rest next week,

Love you! Happy 4th of July this week!



No comments:

Post a Comment