Monday, August 11, 2014

Elder Adamson's Letter 8/11/2014

This has been a really good week for Elder Buttars and I.  It´s been tough work lately, but we´re starting to see a little more success now.  Here's the news.

Last week for P-day, we went to Puerto de Santa María and had a fun little get-together with the Zone and I got to chat for a long time with one of my great friends in the mission, Elder Allsop.  He is our new Zone Leader here and is doing a really great job.  Also, the Guffeys (a senior couple) hooked us up with some supplies to make a bunch of tacos for everyone there and they turned out really good. Later that night we had a Noche de Hogar with the Guttenbergers and did a little Preach My Gospel training with them about the Book of Mormon.  They´re on fire right now in the missionary work, but the thing that stinks is that their referrals don´t live here in San Fernando.. ;)


The highlight of this week was definitely the cita we had with Victor on Tuesday.  Elder Buttars and I went in to a GREAT lesson about the Restoration and Victor had lots of good questions.  Recently in the mission we´ve really been focusing on baptismal invitations.  We have been inviting everyone to be baptized in the first lesson and setting fechas with them no later than the second lesson.  It sounds a little crazy, but it´s a really good way to let people know what we´re here for and what they need to do.  In our cita with Victor we set a fecha for the 30th of August.  The thing I love about him is that  he isn´t expecting to see an angel or receive a big sign, but he just wants a confirmation that what we are teaching is true, and right now, he´s doing all the right things to get the confirmation he needs from the Holy Ghost.   He´s been reading the passages we´ve left him and is pretty comfortable praying and he came to church this week.  If he keeps it up like this, he´ll be very ready to be baptized on the 30th.  It´s been a long time since Elder Buttars and I have had a good fecha like this, so we walked out of his house pretty happy.  I´ll let you know how things go with him next week.

This week we also got to eat over at Luis and Johanna´s house.  They cooked up some fresh fish, and I took it like a man.  It was actually pretty good and I enjoyed it except for when I got a bone stuck in my throat for a second.  My eyes welled up for a minute and everyone saw me choke for a second, so that was pretty embarrassing, but after I got it down we were all laughing about it. Johanna said   "Elder!!  ¡No me digas que una espina te pinchó!!  ¡Por poco matamos a un misionero!" ("Do not tell me a bone jabbed you !!  I almost killed a missionary! ") After that we shared a message with them about The Family, because we're trying to get them to the temple here soon.

I also got to reunite with Elder Farrell this week for the first time in 8 months so that was a great time. We did a lot of catching  up at Zone meeting in Cádiz.  He´s a MAQUINA.  I´ll be getting to see him a little more often than before.

In the Zone...YES!!!!!

Elder Adamson and Elder Farrell

This week we've been trying to work with a less active man named Julio,  He´s been going through a lot lately and has made quite a few mistakes in his life that are really coming back to haunt him right now.  While I was thinking about him the other day, I thought about a scripture in Romans 8 where Paul says "

38 For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels,nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor  things to come,
39 Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of 
God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

No matter where we've been, no matter how far we've strayed, His love can reach through the greatest depths of darkness to bring us back home again.  I testify of that.  As a missionary, I've seen a lot of different people in different situations, but the love of our Savior reaches everyone.  We should plead for His love and His light in times of darkness. 

Elder Holland said 
"Fighting through darkness and despair and pleading for the light is what opened this dispensation.  It is what keeps it going, and it is what will keep you going."

I know that is true.  Joseph Smith opened this dispensation by pleading for the light.  Ask and ye shall receive.  Knock and it shall be opened unto you.

Love you all and have a great week!

Elder Adamson

No comments:

Post a Comment