Monday, August 25, 2014

Elder Adamson's Letter 8/25/2014

This week has been another good one.  Things are coming back to normal a little more because beach season is going to be coming to an end here real soon.  I´m in Cádiz right now writing you, and there is a big European bike tour going on and they´re leaving from Cádiz this morning.  It´s called La Vuelta Ciclista but I have no idea what it is in English.  There´s a big aircraft carrier in the bay right now where the race is going to start.  Anyway, that´s what´s going on right this very minute.

This week I got to do an intercambio with one of my very best friends here in the mission.  His name is Elder Allsop and I´ve talked about him before, but he and I sat next to each other on the flight from SLC to Atlanta and have been friends ever since.  Later he was in my district in the MTC and now he´s my Zone Leader here in the San Fernando Zone.  On our intercambio we were able to FINALLY get in contact with a less active named Guillermo.  When we knocked his door, he let us right in without even saying anything.  I´m guessing it´s been a LOOONG time since missionaries have visited him because his address was wrong on the member list and we had to do a little investigation to find him.  He is a return missionary and went inactive pretty much right after he got home from the mission and got married.  We started to share a scripture with him and half way through the message he gets up and says "wait..."  and he got up and opened up a huge drawer and started to pull out books.  After a bit of digging, he pulled out his old Book of Mormon from the mission, and but a bookmark in where we were reading so he could read it later.  Then he told us that after being on the mission he wanted to see what "the world" was like, so he did it, and after figuring it out, he learned how important it was to be in the church to him.  His whole family is rooting for him to come back and he told us he wants to, so we´ll start passing by there more often.  Cool miracle.

We were also able to get in contact with Jonathan and Victor this week.  They are 2 really good investigators that have both just taken a nose dive.  We stopped by Victor´s house by surprise and he told us that for now he´s not really interested because he´s not getting any answers.  You can probably guess why.  He´s not reading or praying.  That is THE WAY to get an answer but he just hasn't taken the time to do it even though we try our best to explain it to him.  Agency is one of the greatest gifts we have, but we have to use it wisely!  Sometimes I wish I could just suspend an investigator´s agency just long enough for them to read and pray and gain a testimony and then give it back to them... ha ha ha  As for investigators right now, we don´t have too many, but we´re working to find them.  We've met a few friends and family members of people in the ward that we´re hoping to start teaching as well.

You are gonna love this story.  So this Sunday, we show up to church and Israel, one of the counselors of the bishopric, came and asked me if I could give a 10 minute talk in Sacrament meeting--the meeting was going to start in like 10 minutes.  He said one of the speakers wasn't going to be able to make it because the roads were all blocked off because of the bike race this weekend.  I said I would do it, but I had no idea what I was going to talk about.  Me and Elder Buttars started scrambling for ideas and I remembered a conference talk given by Elder Ballard on Follow Up that was similar to a lesson I had just given in district meeting, so we ran upstairs to the computer, printed off the talk, and found a Preach My Gospel in one of the closets that I could use for my talk, because I only had my triple and my bible on me.  I sat down in the chapel and starting throwing together a few scriptures and parts of the talk as well as Preach My Gospel.  By the time the sacrament started I was pretty calmed down and had a decent idea of how I was going to do it, but I had nothing organized.  My turn came to talk and, and I got up for 10 minutes and sat back down, and somehow I did it.  That was a miracle in itself. hahaha  After the meeting, a few members came and told me I did a good job and then Stake President Morales came over to talk to me and asked me to give the same talk in Stake Conference in a month, so I told him I would.  Elder Buttars and I had a good laugh about that after the meeting, and then recited the scripture in 1 Nephi 4:6 that says
"And I was led by the Spirit, not knowing beforehand the things which I should do"

 All jokes aside, I really did receive some help there.  I had nothing really planned out before I got up, just a bunch of chunks of information. But everything turned out well in the end :)
Part of my talk was this scripture:
"Therefore, dearly beloved brethren, let us cheerfully do all things that lie in our power; and then may we stand still, with the utmost assurance, to see the salvation of God, and for his arm to be revealed." D&C 123:17
Speaking of invitations this applies well.  As missionaries and members, there isn't much more we can do than invite and follow up,  but God works miracles with the people we invited when they accept the invitations.  We don´t convert, the Spirit does.  There is no way to counterfeit the power of the Holy Ghost, so we should let Him take care of the conversion, and we can do "all in our power" to invite people to Christ and follow up with them to assure that they receive a proper chance to accept the gospel.

Have a great week! Love you!

Elder Adamson

No comments:

Post a Comment